titre

Auberge La Goéliche Inn is open year-round for lodging or for a  delightful meal.   You
will appreciate the personalized rooms, the glass-enclosed dining-room, the conference or group lounges, the gardens, the outdoor swimming-pool and our courteous staff to make your stay unforgettable. Parking is free.

But what is a " goéliche" ?
Until the middle of the last century, small schooners called goéliches were used to transfer goods from the shore of the St.Lawrence River to larger schooners
which could not sail close to shore due to their heavy draught.

The first dock on Île d’Orléans was built
in 1855 along the shore of the village of Sainte-Pétronille.  The construction of this dock had a boosting effect on the economy of the village.  Several steamships (Petit
Coq, Frontenac, Champion, Île d’Orléans ) shuttled tourists and vacationers from Quebec City to the tip of the island, soon creating a need for food and lodging accommodations in the village.  A small Victorian style inn was  then erected close by.  The quaint inn was called «  Château
Bel-Air » and it was transformed in 1895.  Over the years, the name of the inn was changed to «  Manoir de l’Anse » and « Auberge La Goéliche ».

01
 
02 Château Bel-Air was a four-story building, in the fashion of a
two-turret castle, with a large panoramic porch.  Owned and managed by Thomas H. Lizotte, the inn became very popular
and prospered.  In 1935, a bridge connected the main land to the island, further increasing the number of visitors to Sainte-Pétronille and, consequently, the number of guests at the inn.  Dancing at Château Bel-Air became one of the more popular entertaining activities among the Quebec City population.  Daily cruises on the ship Duc d’Orléans attracted hundred of dancing fans to Château Bel-Air.

With the passage of time, the inn changed hands many times from Lizotte
(1872-1897), Fraser (1897-1945), Duchesneau (1945-1960), Couturier
(1960-1968), Lemieux (1968-1985), Lafrenière and Duplain (1985-1990), Marchand, Turgeon and Duplain (1991-1996) to the present owners, Marchand and Turgeon.  All owners were dedicated to preserving the old charm and warmth of the inn.  In 1992, the owners were granted the « Island Award » for excellence in restoration for the work they had initiated in the inn and, in 1994, they received the Best Sign Award ».

After being opened only in the summer for many years, La Goéliche is now welcoming guests all year round.

On February 22nd 1996, the hundred years old inn was completely destroyed by fire, leaving one person dead.  The reconstruction started the same year and the inn officially re-opened on May 1st of the following year.  La Goéliche has been rebuilt with respect of the architecture of the old inn.  The new English style building features a four-slope roof, white outside walls and porches, one pinnacle and large windows with view on the river side.  Inside, old vintage furniture and paintings by local artists add warmth to the rustic decor.

 



haut